This is a phrase I am sure you have all heard at some point, especially within the last 5 years. Millennials in particular are becoming increasingly aware of their food choices and the impact it has on the environment, animal welfare and even our own health. This has become the driver for many to adopt a plant based or vegan lifestyle!
What exactly is a plant-based diet?
A plant-based diet in itself means eating an abundance of wholefoods, fruits,
veggies, wholegrains, legumes, seeds and nuts whilst avoiding animal-based products such as meats, fish, dairy, eggs and honey.
What are the benefits?
Studies have shown that adopting a plant-based diet can have a significant impact on your health and wellbeing. Some of these benefits include:
- Immune support. Plants contain an abundance of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that can assist in keeping your immune system happy and healthy.
- Reduces inflammation - Speaking of antioxidants, these clever little things float around our body and neutralise toxins helping reduce overall body inflammation! Why is this important? Studies have shown that continual inflammation within the body has been linked with the development of cancers and other inflammatory conditions such as ulcerative colitis, asthma and arthritis. Therefore, adopting a plant-based diet may help remove some of the triggers to these inflammatory diseases.
- Maintain a healthy weight - Plant-based eating may help a person maintain a healthy weight due to its high nutrient, antioxidant and fiber content along with the exclusion of processed foods and meat products.
To show you how simple, easy and delicious it can be to eat plant-based, here are two recipes that you can enjoy! Not only are these bowls easy and delicious, they are your perfect go to pre and post juice cleanse to nourish you body with real wholefoods. Give it a go, I promise you won’t regret it.
Here is our go-to combination.
1 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp olive oil
1⁄2 cup cooked brown rice
1⁄2 sweet potato
1 can of chickpeas (rinsed)
1 tsp paprika
Handful of red cabbage
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Begin cooking brown rice according to packet instructions.
- Chop up the sweet potato into cubes and place on one side of a baking tray and drizzle a little of olive oil on top.
- Cut up the cauliflower into small florets and place in a bowl with the turmeric and 1 tbsp of olive oil, mix well until the florets are yellow! Place the cauliflower on the other side of the baking tray.
- Drain the can of chickpeas in a colander and rinse well. Place chickpeas in a bowl with the paprika and 1 tbsp of olive oil and mix well. Place the chickpeas on a separate baking tray.
- Place the two baking trays in the oven for approximately 20 minutes until the veggies are golden and the chickpeas are golden and crunchy. (Watch the cauliflower closely as it can burn easily!)
- Whilst the veggies are roasting, pan fry the kale with olive oil until golden.
Banana Berry Smoothie Bowl
3⁄4 cup frozen blueberries
1 cup of coconut milk